[pianotech] CA for stripped screw holes

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 14:33:42 MST 2010

I know this is an old thread, but I had the opportunity to try this
technique today for the first time. It was on two stripped lyre top block
screw holes (for the screws that hold the lyre to the keybed.)

The reason I tried this was because it was quicker than drill and plug, and
it was a good test. The holes were roughly 5/16" in diameter and about 1
1/2" long. The original screws were 14 x 3" (I think I have the diameter
about right, but not 100% sure.). Took a section of "Shop Rag" paper towel
that was about 4" x 4", rolled it up, then twisted it so it could be more
readily forced up into the hole. Saturated the wadded up paper towel with
thin CA (Dryburgh). Then forced it up into the hole, using a piece of metal.
No accelerator. It cured really quickly, as what was sticking out of the
hole had to be cut off with a breakaway knife.

In my initial skepticism, I assumed this wouldn't work at all on a large
hole like this. But to my surprise, I couldn't get the screw started! Had to
drill it out (smaller bit, then larger bit). It held great -- very tight. Of
course, time will tell if this will work long term. But I feel very
confident this technique would certainly be fine for stripped holes that
don't have to support much of a load.

One interesting thing was that after the paper towel was drenched with CA,
it started "smoking" -- like what happens when accelerator is used.

FWIW,

--
JF