[pianotech] personal question- where did you learn PT?

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 14 16:08:44 MST 2010

Hi Zoe,

I was one of the very lucky ones.  I am a 3rd generation of techs in my
family.  I have a cousin, another Groot, that is also 3rd generation.  His
dad and mine were in business together until his father passed from a heart
attack at the age of 49 in 1966.  We both still tune full time, but have
always run our business separate from one another.

I had 3 mentor's, all at the same time.  My dad, Jerry Peterson and Harry
Buyce.  All 3 were RPT's.   All 3 have since passed as well.  Jerry and
Harry used to work at the old Everett Piano factory for many years prior to
going out on their own.  Their knowledge about pianos was awesome!  My dad
helped Peterson get his start in Grand Rapids after he moved here from South
Haven Michigan because he could see Jerry's potential and knew that Peterson
knew darn well, what he was doing.  Between the 3 of these guys, I could not
have asked for better people to work with or to learn from at the time.  All
of them were so full of wisdom and information and they were so willing to
share it with me!

My dad got me started tuning pipe organs with him when I was 10.  Man, what
a boring job holding keys for a 10 year old!!!  He got me started tuning,
repairing and other aspects of the piano business when I was 12.  Full time
as soon as I got out of high school.  I will be 54 in May.  I'm turning into
an old fart.

I worked for Peterson part time 2-3 days a week for 6 years rebuilding,
installing new hammers, reconditioning, tuning, replacing hammers, whatever
he did, I did.  I never liked rebuilding though, to time consuming for me,
so when I stopped working for Peterson, I pretty much stopped rebuilding
too.  I prefer regulation, tuning, reconditioning, voicing, trouble
shooting, concert work and that sort of thing.  When not working for
Peterson, I was working with my dad the rest of the time or attending
seminar's and conventions.

I worked with Harry whenever I could but not quite as often because he lived
60 miles away. I would drive there when I could though when he was
rebuilding in his shop just to study with him and to learn more about hammer
installation, re-stringing etc.  Man, Jerry and Harry could re-string a
piano faster than anyone I've ever seen and do such a great job with the
coils perfectly lined up even!  They would whip those coils around that
dummy tuning pin and slap that sucker into the pin block, slam it down,
tighten it up and on to the next one in a heart beat!  Unbelieveable!  They
learned that working in the Everett Piano Factory.

Each one of these guys were always willing to help me and others as well
with any questions or problems that I encountered no matter how dumb the
problem or question was. They were filled with more information than I could
ever hope for and probably more than I will ever be able to retain.

Dad always made me attend every tuners meeting.  I still attend most of
them.  Harry made me attend so many different seminars until we were
repeating all of the classes many times!  That's when we both cut back on
them.  I need to go more often again.

I usually just set back in this forum and read as there are so many here
filled with great information, but I do toss in my two cents worth here and
there.

Jer Groot RPT