[pianotech] Dampp chasers & grand pianos.

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 14 18:31:30 MST 2010

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 2:29 PM, dbpowell1 at juno.com <dbpowell1 at juno.com>wrote:

> The church where I was tuning has a Broadman grand purchased in 2008. It
> doesn't hold a tuning for very long. It sits in a large sanctuary and the
> temp is not that consistant. The music director ask me about installing some
> dampp chasers to see if that would help. I told him that the strings still
> might be stretching but wasn't sure. I told him that dampp chasers work good
> in a verticle piano because there enclosed. He wanted to know if it would be
> worth putting them in a grand. I told him that I was on piano tech email and
> that I could get some intake on this matter from guys that had a Lot of
> experience on this subject and would get back to him.
> Any info will be appreciated.
> Thanks Dick

> Small Business Tools
> Click to find the latest solutions to enhance your small business.
>
> http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2131/c?cp=b4hCPeOkYZpiNihn4aVqigAAJz1utuDroy30iobj4ZCrBRnSAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARMQAAAAA=

I currently have 3 pianos in churches with full Dampp-Chaser systems and
full floor length covers, a Boston 7'2", A Yamaha C7 7'6" and Hyundai 5'.
The first 2 were installed with a beeper to indicate low water(can't see
that light flash when it's covered)and they vary no more than 5 beats from
season to season, now. The Boston was a new piano and needed some settling,
the C7 was 20+ years old and also needed settling as it hadn't been
maintained. The Hyundai is what it is but it is better than when it wasn't
covered and didn't have a DC. In truth I haven't been able to get the people
taking care of it to properly maintain it plus it was moved to a new
building and they "lost" the watering can!
I also have a Kawai GS-60 on a stage at a local university with a full
DamppChaser, standard length cover and undercover that stays quite well
considering it's next to the kitchen!

I would strongly suggest the full drop cover and Dampp-Chaser system IF
there are people there on a regular basis to maintain it AND they will keep
it covered when not in use.

Mike

--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404