[pianotech] age-old question of what to charge for almost nothing

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Fri Jan 15 06:23:47 MST 2010

I've gotta say, two great answers.  I've done both and I think they are both
winners, just depends upon the situation.  If it's conveniently fit into the
schedule between a couple of tunings, I'd consider just doing it.  If it's
"emergency-ish" and I have to make a trip to do it, I'd generally charge and
see if there wasn't something more I could do while I was there to help the
client feel like they weren't paying $X just to remove a pencil.  Usually in
this case, clients understand too, that were "could" justify the full fee
for a pencil, but are willing to be reasonable and do some more work as long
as we've been hired to be there.

Good answers.  In another life (working with at-risk youth) I learned a good
sentiment from a mentor of mine.  When confronted with trying to figure out
the best thing to do for one of our kids, trying to do "what was in their
best interest," he suggest to me that in the end, "if you feel to do
something, it's probably the right thing to do."  So, what feels right to
you?  It's served me well to remember this in many places in life.

William R. Monroe