[pianotech] age-old question of what to charge for almost nothing

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Jan 15 10:58:47 MST 2010

David Ilvedson wrote:
> For your fee, show her how to remove the fallboard...
>
> "Remove a pencil and you have removed it for a day.   Teach
> how to remove the pencil and she can remove pencils for a
> lifetime"

This is what I do, explaining that I expect to see a trophy
wall of removed artifacts one day. If someone calls me out of
the blue wanting a pencillectomy, they get charged a service
call, pre-warned in the initial phone conversation. I don't
know them, we have no history, and I'm not looking to adopt.
If they want a tuning too, the pencillectomy goes down to a
couple of bucks, or a freebie if it just takes a minute.
Regular loyal customers, I'll figure out a way to stop by and
do it for little or nothing - depending. Habitual repeat
offenders, regular, loyal, or otherwise, get charged a service
call to focus their attention.

Like with everything else, you have to split the difference
between throwing yourself on the sword, or running someone
else through. Throwing yourself on the sword is sometimes the
thing to do, but remember that there are an infinite number of
swords out there waiting.
Ron N