[pianotech] What to charge for banging spoons

Larry Fisher RPT larryf at pacifier.com
Fri Jan 15 09:53:48 MST 2010

I've been within an open hand away from a bear's nose camping in the Quetico
and only NoSeeUm netting betwixt me and her.  I lit my lighter and she
ambled off and disrupted the next camp.  (snip) We spent the evening taking
turns doing bear patrol, food in canoe on the water.

I have charged half my usual rate for pencilectomies.  I then show them how
to reach that area of the piano for themselves for next time.  I've done
numerous calls for free.  As I get older I see the fact that I am not
hurting for income and on top of that I just made through the worst
financial storm of my life and never came up short.  My heart goes out to
those who lost their jobs, their house, and their lifestyle in this last
economic hungry bear that has passed through our camps.  If you think
charging for every possible thing is neccessary, then go for it.  Lots of
people do.  I've made it this far (close to 40 years) and haven't suffered
much for it.  The ones that are expensive to service are the ones that lie
to your face as well as the ones that aren't there for the agreed
appointment time.  And then there's the ones that make up little stories to
go along with asking you for a discount.  Save your highest fees for them.
You really don't need them on your database unless they make you money.  If
they're out of the way, or clearly out of your service area, promise them
service next time you're in the area or get compensated for the trip.

BTW, banging anything together doesn't deter a momma bear with two cubs in
the oven.  Chasing her with my arms waving while her mouth is full of cake
mix does.  I've got proof and witnesses.

As far as the fire hydrant and the burning house, it depends on who's living
in the house, if any.  I suppose I'd connect the hose to the hydrant that
the bear probably just pead on, aim it at the bear and charge for hazard
pay.

LarBear