[pianotech] age-old question of what to charge for almost nothing and running a business as a business

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 16 07:59:15 MST 2010

To all.  One thing that we all need to remember.  Things can quite easily be
misconstrued or misinterpreted on both sides in writing which has been
obvious on both of our behalf's David.  I could have easily taken apart your
email last night, especially about how you wrote "slim margins" but
refrained from doing so assuming that perhaps you just might, have been
talking generically as you said.  It is hard to tell in writing.  Just like
Ron N, assuming I was serious in my snide remarks about him CA'ing
everything back together again in a water filled basement just to see what
would happen.  I was only joking referring to the boys and their playing
with fire.

The only thing that I AM VERY HARD LINED ON is that more piano technicians
need to run this business like a business or learn how.  Yet, many do not
run it as such.  These same people do not know how to run it as a business
or in my opinion, do not take it very seriously that it is a business.  They
need to stick to the principal of charging when appropriate, which is, most
of the time.  They should not be afraid to charge and especially, should not
apologize for doing so. As another poster mentioned, the owners of other
businesses will not allow their employee's to show up for free or to charge
less for obvious reasons.

Here is a prime example of what I mean.  I have someone in town here that is
constantly complaining about not being able to make a living.  This person
runs their business more as a charity, treats their customers rudely, gives
discounts to everyone and is making less than $28,000 a year tuning full
time.  His work load is now half of what it was last year and he wonders
why?  Yet, I find out from this person that their prices have dropped or
have been the same for 7 or 8 years running, he doesn't even charge for a
service call, doesn't charge extra for driving 150 miles round trip, charges
only for his time, he's doing services for free in an attempt gain more work
which is not working, he's gaining more free clientele instead yet, he still
doesn't get it and will not listen to reason.

I on the other hand have raised my rates a little bit this year, have more
work than I can handle which is typical and I keep growing. All this, in
Michigan, the hardest hit state with the longest recession track record in
the union with a reality check of a 20.9 % unemployment rate.

Jer