[pianotech] age-old question of what to charge for almost nothing and running a business as a business

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Jan 16 09:19:27 MST 2010

Nobody would argue with your first point.  The nuances and individual
situations that determine just how that's done are what we are talking
about.  The example you give of the $28000 a year person has less to do with
the discussion than it does with general competence.  We haven't even
mentioned the importance of being skilled.  The person who is meticulous in
their business practices, never misses an opportunity to charge for every
service and mile driven, still won't have any business if the service they
provide stinks.  Similarly if one (notice I'm avoiding saying "you" to avoid
any misunderstanding) is rude to people then they are not likely to get very
far no matter how skilled and meticulous they are in their business
practices.  The example of what owners allow their employees to do is not
relevant since we are the owners and owners do choose at times to bend the
rules.  They just don't want their employees to do that.  Neither would I.

In summary, of course one shouldn't be afraid to charge for their time,
expense and expertise.  At the same time one should be flexible enough to
assess each situation on its own merits and make a decision without fearing
the consequences of a single act.  Price structures are helpful (I have them
outlined and itemized for rebuilding and servicing as well as a set hourly
rate which is published).  That can take the guess work out of making
estimates which can be tricky for the inexperienced and create situations of
price commitments that are unrealistic and may establish a history that one
may not wish to be held to.  But if one wants to do a favor and help someone
out with a pencil, why not?  Let's not blow it out of proportion as the
reason their business isn't successful.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com

...snipped

The only thing that I AM VERY HARD LINED ON is that more piano technicians
need to run this business like a business or learn how.  Yet, many do not
run it as such.  These same people do not know how to run it as a business
or in my opinion, do not take it very seriously that it is a business.  They
need to stick to the principal of charging when appropriate, which is, most
of the time.  They should not be afraid to charge and especially, should not
apologize for doing so. As another poster mentioned, the owners of other
businesses will not allow their employee's to show up for free or to charge
less for obvious reasons.

Here is a prime example of what I mean.  I have someone in town here that is
constantly complaining about not being able to make a living.  This person
runs their business more as a charity, treats their customers rudely, gives
discounts to everyone and is making less than $28,000 a year tuning full
time.  His work load is now half of what it was last year and he wonders
why?  Yet, I find out from this person that their prices have dropped or
have been the same for 7 or 8 years running, he doesn't even charge for a
service call, doesn't charge extra for driving 150 miles round trip, charges
only for his time, he's doing services for free in an attempt gain more work
which is not working, he's gaining more free clientele instead yet, he still
doesn't get it and will not listen to reason.

Jer