[pianotech] insurance evaluation on a Steinway B

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 14:07:47 MST 2010

Hi, I'm putting together an appraisal for customer who is heading out to
retire in CA after a career of teaching piano in universities. She's
bringing along her 1962 ebony Steinway B, and I'm eager for any input on
placing a proper value on her instrument.
I have done some background research -- S&S has an MSRP of $81,200 (Larry
Fine has $79,180 as the "street price"). So this should be the replacement
price, if she elects to buy that level of coverage.
The piano was well maintained (she also had an L, and pianos in the
university's teaching studio), but 48 years does take its toll too (brassy
tone, but still quite enjoyable as is).
What do you see in prices for Bs these days? I have done some price
comparisons from a large sampling from the pianomart.com site, but these are
"asking prices", not actual sales prices. For the moment I won't post those
numbers.
For those of you selling "quality used", as well as your restored (to
totally re-engineered), Steinway Bs, your input and advice would be greatly
appreciated!
Patrick Draine
Billerica, MA