[pianotech] age-old question of what to charge for almost nothing and run

paulrevenkojones at aol.com paulrevenkojones at aol.com
Sat Jan 16 13:25:00 MST 2010

As I said before, David, it's a karmic world, and you have done a fine job
of expanding on the idea.

Paul

In a message dated 1/16/2010 2:06:49 P.M. Central Standard Time,
davidlovepianos at comcast.net writes:

This  isn't aimed at anyone in particular or any specific previous remarks
so
please no one respond as if I'm attacking them or criticizing  their
approach, though of course you're welcome to comment.  I know  this has gone
on too long but the question of what is important for a  successful business
is important especially these days. There's been a bit  of sniping in the
discussion but hey, get over it.  The really germane  issue in all of this,
if I may distill it down, is where the emphasis lies  in your business
approach.  My view is that yes of course it's  important to have skills and
to have self esteem and project confidence and  not be afraid to charge and
do your proper accounting and tax plan and  clean your shop and your shoes
and tuck in your shirt yada yada yada.   But at the heart of any successful
business, especially in a repeat service  business such as ours, is your
ability to develop and maintain  relationships with your customers.
Ultimately, what sticks with customers  are the feelings left behind from
your interaction with them.  Not  specifically what was said, how much they
paid, whether they got a discount  or not, though these things might be
contributing factors.  That's why  often when someone complains about your
price and you end up conceding and  giving them a discount you never hear
from them again.  The discount  isn't what they remember.  What they
remember
is how they felt from  the interaction and even though they got a discount
they leave with the  feeling of being ripped off or had they not pressed the
issue they would  have paid more than was necessary.  So in each situation
you have to  make a decision as to how best to develop that interaction so
that it leads  to a positive experience for the customer.  There are no hard
and fast  rules for what that means because each person is different and so
the  criteria will vary.  The smartest business people are not those  that
stick rigidly to a format for everything but those who recognize the
nuances
that make those relationships work and are able to adapt  accordingly.  If
that means extracting a pencil for free (that's where  this all started) so
that you can engage the customer in some dialogue that  may mean future
work,
well you have to decide.  It may or may not be  the right solution in that
particular case but you need to go in with an  open mind and view the
situation as an opportunity.

David  Love
www.davidlovepianos.com