[pianotech] age-old question of what to charge for almost nothing andrunning a business as a business

Clark Sprague CSPRAGUE4 at woh.rr.com
Sat Jan 16 14:02:23 MST 2010

" But at the heart of any successful
business, especially in a repeat service business such as ours, is your
ability to develop and maintain relationships with your customers."  David
Love

I know this to be true from personal experience.  When the store I worked
for  7 years full time) closed in 2006, I received the full clientele list.
I contacted all those people in that first 6 months of being on my own.  As
things progressed, I wanted my business to be OUR business (meaning mine and
my wife's), so I asked her to keep the contacts going for me.
    As time passed, my wife has been overburdened with the care of my
mother, our kids, playing 2 church jobs , etc, etc.  She doesn't have enough
time in the day to do it all, and I stubbornly held to the notion that this
was her part in our business, and she was failing.  STUPID.
    Add to that the recession, and we have a client base that is in three
distinct parts:  one group that has gone so long since I have seen them that
they are basically lost; one group that has remained faithful (a small
group); and another group in the middle that I hear from occasionally.  This
is the biggest group.  My gross has dropped by about 50% in the 2 1/2 years
since I was forced to go it on my own.
    The point of this diatribe is that David is soooo right when he says
what I pasted at the first of this post.  This business is all about the
relationships we maintain with the people we encounter.  I need to take
business classes and learn more about how to run my business more
effectively.  I wonder how many of the people reading this list could tell
similar tales?

Clark A. Sprague, RPT
csprague4 at woh.rr.com