[pianotech] age-old question of what to charge for almost nothing and running a business as a business

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 16 18:47:43 MST 2010

Better direction for sure and more informative David.  Good job.  Forgive me
if I make this long but, I will try my best to make it worth your while.

For me, I have set goals.  I always have and I keep track of them.  When I
started out, I focused on the higher end and the most dependable clientele
so if the economy went into a recession as it has, I would not be affected
nearly as much as others might.  It takes years to do this but, it does
work.

I am dependable therefore, I expect, they should be too.  I remind them of
our pre-set appointments the night before.  My college and churches and
other organizations are exempt from this as someone is almost always there.

As an example of how long we have been servicing some of our clientele; I
have been servicing the pianos at my college for 36 years. My dad, since
1946 and his dad, since before then.  Some of our churches, we have been
servicing since 1946 when my dad started in this business.

Although, we all forget something on occasion, I do not charge for first
time offenders.  Sometimes, even 2nd time offenders. I never know what may
have taken place to create the failed appointment like an illness or death
which I have had happen on more than one occasion.  If they are sick, I
don't want to be there anyway.

I start my fall season by looking at my database.  I figure out how many
pianos need to be tuned, by what dates and where they are located.  Will I
work any Saturday's and if so, for whom, exactly?

I schedule all action jobs beginning in February but mostly through the
summer months when my schools and churches can be without them easist.

I believe that one important thing is to continually make contact with the
customer.  Mine are so used to me calling them to schedule that my regular's
just wait for me to contact them unless they have an emergency of some kind.
Then, I manage to fit them in even if it means working over time or hiring
someone else to do it for me.

I interact with my clients continually every single day.  To me, talking,
laughing and having fun with them is half of the fun of being in this
business.

25 years ago, I hired a secretary to make calls for me.  Any calls that come
in during the day time, I return at night or during my lunch hour if I'm
home.  I have a business phone strictly for this.

All of what I call "outgoing calls" meaning, those that are in my data base
needing to be contacted and scheduled, my secretary makes. I hate doing it.
If I had to do it, none of it would get done. I know this is my weakness so
to me, it is well worth hiring her.  This past Thursday, she scheduled 10
appointments in 2 hours.  That same evening, 4 more returned her call and
scheduled with me.  The following day, several more returned her calls.
Just like that, we made about 18 appointments.

I have everything on a database and back it all up daily.  On this database,
I have it set up so show when my college is due to be called, which pianos
are to be tuned, all of their locations, what weeks or months they are to be
scheduled in, any contact persons etc.  I begin making contact with them at
the very beginning of the season, late summer.  I schedule everything that I
can through Christmas including all concert tunings.

The college always gets scheduled first.  They amount to around 300 tunings
a year which is about 30 % of what I do.

You see, everyone has already been contacted.  I have set them each up on a
yearly schedule that is flexible according to their needs. Perhaps they have
a special event coming up that they know about in advance?  They are also
set up according to their pianos needs.  All of this information was then
entered by myself into my database and pops up without me having to ask for
it.

Next my gal calls my regular churches.  They are very dependable.  We do the
same with them, scheduling them through Christmas.

Next, she calls the rest of my schools and other organizations doing the
same thing, scheduling through Christmas whenever possible.

After these are all completed, she then calls homes filling in the remaining
gaps (if there are any) with these.  If I am over burdened, I simply
sub-contract it out.

I schedule everything possible in the same areas to make traveling easiest
and cheapest.

If a music teacher and I have several that do this for me, will schedule my
day FOR ME and make it complete without me having to do a single thing, I
give that person $10 off per tuning.  Most often, I wind up with at least 5
tunings that day including hers.  I didn't have to pay my secretary to do it
and the teacher is happy as can be because she got the discount.

One thing I will not do however, is to compromise my fixed price, my quality
or lower my prices to meet my competitor's.  I know what I am capable of. I
am very dependable.  I am very rarely late and if so, I have an excuse like
getting stopped by a train or, a traffic jam and they know this.  I never
cheat them on anything, give more than what I am asked for and insist on
being honest and having anyone that works for me, being honest as well at
all times!

Yes, I do give my college a large break on tunings because I do after all
tune 300 pianos a year there.

I give a discount if someone will tune 2 or more during the same visit in
the same location.  I give NO discounts for only one tuning.  This
encourages them to tune the auditorium and choir pianos at the same time for
example saving them money and me 2nd trip.

Long enough....

Jer Groot RPT