[pianotech] age-old question of what to charge for almost nothing and running a business as a business

Duaine Hechler dahechler at att.net
Sun Jan 17 03:39:59 MST 2010

Thomas Cole wrote:
> Mr. Groot,
>
> <snip>
>
> There is a whole continuum of piano technicians ranging from part time
> hobbyists charging little or no money, to full-time technicians making
> a six figure income. If some of the hobbyists are complaining about a
> lack of income, they may have a problem with low self-esteem or maybe
> their work is substandard and with the help of some compassionate
> mentoring could improve their skills and self-esteem. Are you going to
> continue to focus on the problem or come up with some solutions?
>
> Tom Cole
Tom,

You failed to mention another factor - to many techs in the same area.
When I started 10 years ago, I was faced with techs that have been
established between 10 and 30+ years and already have a clientèle base -
my mentor had about 3000 established clients. So how do you bust in to
this established market.

Now for where did you learn PT.

My mentor, of 30+ years, knows aural tuning, however, he tunes mainly
with Cybertuner AND he has some pretty picky clientèle. Once I bought My
Cybertuner, he said to practice on my own piano and get the feel of the
pins, the movement needed to move the pins where you want them to go,
stability, etc. Then he would have me come along for multiple piano
tunings (at the same client) and we would tune side by side. He would
critique my tuning, technique, etc. (BTW, he also taught me to rebuild
antique pump organs) Then some months later, once he thought I was ready
and produce a respectable tuning, I ventured out on my own. After
several MONTHS of getting very little work and after much advertising, I
decided to advertise the rebuilding of antique player pianos and pump
(reed) organs. This is what really gave me my jump start.

Duaine

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
dahechler at att.net
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home & Business user of Linux - 10 years