[pianotech] Who's the boss WAS age-old question of what to charge for almost nothing

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 16 14:54:20 MST 2010

It's easier if you just charge by the hour whenever possible for field work...which is most of the time for me.

David Ilvedson
Pacifica, CA

On Jan 16, 2010, at 4:19 AM, Marcel Carey <mcpianos at hotmail.com> wrote:

The difference between other trades and our's is that often these workers work for a company that has a price policy. The employee does not have the privilege of changing the price for different customers or situations. They just look at their watch and their price list and add up the amounts.

We, on the other hand think we are doing favors and will be liked more when we give breaks to customers (I'm not saying it should never be done). It might be to our benefit to have an actual written price list and consult it while we are writing the bill. This way the customers will all be treated equally and we probably will make more money. This shouldn't prevent you to give discount if you feel like it, but if you were working for someone else, your boss would probably not allow it.

The original post was mentioning that this call was not from a regular customer. From a business point of view, there should be a service call fee to cover things like this. Don't forget that car expense is just that, car expense. It's one thing to give service once in a while, but why give them money on top of that. Service companies stay in business because they stick to their price list when it comes to service calls. Yes, sometimes I feel ripped to pay to get the "this thing is done, I can't service it no more", but I pay for their time and expertise.

If you want to stay in business and have some kind of retirement funds, you might as well not give away the only thing we have for sale: Our time.

Marcel Carey,
Sherbrooke, QC

"Why the constant and invidious comparisons to other trades? We are (I am) a piano technician, with the desire to foster an art, and the artful use of the instrument on which I work. I do it for a living. My living includes making many decisions about how I will work with, treat, and charge my clients. I allow myself to vary my response to certain conditions and needs. It is how I have chosen to live and work. I am not an electrician or plumber, and I don't want the brain of either, bless them for their skilled work. I want the brain of a piano technician. Have we no speciality? "

Paul

Racontez l'histoire au complet avec des photos, directement de votre fenêtre Messenger Apprenez comment