[pianotech] Return visit

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 17 15:57:21 MST 2010

Buy yourself a good quality hygrometer and take that with you on all visits
marking what it shows somewhere in the piano and in your records for proof
on each visit.  I mark it as 75/23.  75 temp and 23 RH. I bought the one on
the top right. http://www.pianoteksupply.com/assets/pdf/humiditycontrol.pdf

Pianos change not only with humidity but temperature changes as well as
opened windows, doors and many other things.  It's been 3 months since the
last visit.  It will be flat and out of tune.  Here in Michigan, it would
have been at around 40% or more yet in October. Now, it's down into the low
20's and teen's for RH.

I would not give a discount for tuning it again.  It will require a full
pitch raise and a full tuning.  Manufacturer's recommend tuning 2-4 times a
year anyway.

If she has a better ear than most people, consider changing the time of the
year that she has it tuned so it will stay put longest and/or have her tune
it more frequently.

Jer Groot RPT