[pianotech] Wood stove - Rick Ucci

James Johnson jhjpiano at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 17 21:58:50 MST 2010

We have lots of wood stoves in our area but we don't have the high humidity
in the summer.  A dehumidifier and a control unit is usually all we need.
That way the piano is just about right when we enter the winter season.

I have found that most people with wood stoves aren't going to move their
piano to another room or install a whole house humidifier.  If the piano is
close to the wood stove, I have them put their hand on the side of the piano
nearest the stove and then on the opposite side and if they can detect a
difference in temperature (sometimes dramatic), I shake my head and say,
"bad, bad."  They seem to understand when I tell them that the piano will
expand and contract differently at each end because of the heat and that it
will consequently go out of tune.  I realize that this is a gross
understatement of the actually facts, but they accept what I tell them
because it makes sense to them.  At least they will be more willing to move
their piano further away from the stove.  In some extreme cases, I have
suggested that they construct a screen with a foil surface to place between
the piano and the stove to reflect the actual heat away from the piano.

Jim