[pianotech] changing attitudes on certain pianos

James Grebe jamesgrebe at charter.net
Mon Jan 18 17:47:46 MST 2010

I know  we all crab about the low quality of many Aeolian "cheapie" spinets
but lately I  have changed my mind on one of them  The piano surfaces with
names such as Cable, Mehlin, and others.  It is the Aeolian spinet that has
it's first 2 string bass unison beginning with G-2.  The break between the
bass and the treble comes at G#-3 with 2 notes of double unison wound
strings.  The upper break comes at D-5.
     I used to lump all the Aeolian spinets together but this one seems to
be a cut above the others.The other Aeolian spinets I have come across have
the bass-treble break at D#-3 and the other at F-3.  Both of these are
clearly not up to snuff.  Does anyone know on which brand, if any, this
scale popped up on first?  The FAC numbers I come up on the preferred scale
are 10.0 8.4 and 6.2.  Any opinions ?
James
James Grebe Est. 1962
Piano Tuner-Technician