[pianotech] Grand lid hinge screws

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Tue Jan 19 17:01:47 MST 2010

> You can make a steel screw look very nice by polishing the head and
> holding it over a sprit lamp or gas flame until it turns a dark blue.
>
> JD
Oh, nice thought -new blued screws on brass piano hinges! Never
considered that! In the heyday of English watch and clockmaking (and I
guess other fine engineering) great attention was paid to bluing steel
screws nicely, and those old fusée pocket watches, which were in their
time marvels of engineering craftsmanship, look gorgeous with the brass
plates and blued screws. (they had tiny chains constucted like bicycle
chains but with links about a millimeter long, all handmade by
housewives in Lancashire).

Seguéing into a related topic: My mother has an old American
"gingerbread" clock by E. N. Welsh of Connecticut.  Those clocks were
cheaply made, but proved extremely durable. The mainspring and striking
spring are not contained in barrels and are tough to wrestle with when
dismantling and assembling (though there are now nice clamp devices to
contain them). Repairing my mother's clock years ago, I found that
someone in the past had scribed on the inside face of the brass
backplate "Smile and keep going". Sometimes you have to do that when
tuning pianos too. Often, in fact!

Best regards,

David Boyce