[pianotech] Strings made to measure

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Tue Jan 19 17:14:02 MST 2010

>Just to make sure I understand what you're saying, when ordering from
>measurements, the string maker will expect me to reduce the measured
>lengths to compensate for stretch?  But you mention Arledge "on the
>other hand", meaning he will make his own compensation?

A string maker can account for the tension if you give termination
measurements.
but if you want a string to fit in with the present scale then you can request
specific measurements.

Let's say that 'in-the-piano' measurements are:
  h/p to winding = 5"
Length of winding = 36"

To order a string which will match its neighbors in winding endings:
subtract 1/8" from the h/p/w  = 4 7/8"
Length of winding would be less 1/4" = 35 3/4"
This, when brought to tension will not be far off the others.
A string maker given termination measurements has no idea
where the originals start and stop.

If you order this way, tell the maker to make the string to spec.

Regards,

Jon Page