[pianotech] Strings made to measure

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Jan 19 17:32:58 MST 2010

Differences in sound characteristics probably have more to do with scale
changes that frequently get made more than manufacturing differences.  Both
Arledge and JD Grandt have their own scales that they prefer (as does GC who
many people use).  Mapes will use manufacturers scales (if they have them),
and, as Ron mentioned, doesn't get bogged down in the details of things like
calculated elongation to produce a predictable bare wire segment.  Since I'm
producing my own scales I prefer to work with John at JD Grandt who does
very accurate work and is also fast and a pleasure to work with.  With the
US dollar tanking against the Canadian dollar lately they've gotten a bit
more expensive but for me it's worth it for the consistency in quality.
Like Ron I provide hitch to bridge pin and hitch to agraffe measurements
along with outer wrap and inner core diameters as well as speaking lengths
(though that is evident from the other two length dimensions).  Along with
that I specify 25 mm from the end of the winding to the terminations after
elongation and also provide hitch pin diameters.

Single string replacements need to be accurately measured (sometimes easier
said than done) and it's often not a bad idea to order both strings in a
bichord especially if they are older strings where timbre matching is more
difficult.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com