[pianotech] Strings made to measure

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Jan 19 16:50:59 MST 2010

Mike Spalding wrote:
> List,
>
> I'm still trying to build a relationship with a string maker (any
> stringmaker) such that they will understand what I'm trying to order,
> and will reliably produce usable strings.  Latest issue:  string length
> as wound vs. string length at pitch.  When you order strings to a set of
> measurements, do you shorten the specified length by an amount of
> stretch/loop crush that you estimate, or do you rely on the stringmaker
> to estimate the length change and make the strings shorter than you
> specify?  How do you communicate this with your stringmaker?  Stories of
> successful relationships with specific stringmakers much appreciated!
>
> thanks
>
> Mike

I use JD Grant, though this works the same with Arledge. I
supply hitch to agraffe, hitch to speaking length bridge pin,
wrap step and bare end lengths, core, and outside diameter for
each string. Either of these folks will calculate the
elongation under tension so the wrap ends are where you want
them at pitch tension. Mapes can make a decent string, but you
have to do your own elongation calculation and specify wrap
end positions sans tension. They don't seem to be able or at
least willing to do the calculations themselves.
Ron N