[pianotech] Strings made to measure

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 20 10:37:09 MST 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 8:12 AM, Mike Spalding
<mike.spalding1 at verizon.net>wrote:

> List,
>
> I'm still trying to build a relationship with a string maker (any
> stringmaker) such that they will understand what I'm trying to order, and
> will reliably produce usable strings.  Latest issue:  string length as wound
> vs. string length at pitch.  When you order strings to a set of
> measurements, do you shorten the specified length by an amount of
> stretch/loop crush that you estimate, or do you rely on the stringmaker to
> estimate the length change and make the strings shorter than you specify?
>  How do you communicate this with your stringmaker?  Stories of successful
> relationships with specific stringmakers much appreciated!
>
> thanks
>
> Mike

Hi Mike,

I use 2 stringmakers depending on what I'm trying to accomplish. If I'm
restringing a piano I use Arledge, his website or the package he sends out
has everything you/he needs assuming you send him the correct information.
If I need replacement strings for a broken string in a production piano I
call Mapes with the info they require, length from loop/hitchpin to
beginning of winding, length of winding, diameter of core, diameter of
winding, string number.
I have yet to get a bad set from Arledge or a bad replacement from Mapes.

Mike
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404