[pianotech] Strings made to measure

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Jan 20 11:43:31 MST 2010

Companies like JD Grandt and Arledge and require only the hitch pin to
speaking side bridge pin and hitch pin to agraffe measurements along with
diameters, either taken from the original or your own scale if you prefer.
They can also calculate the diameters for you if you want them to.  They
will calculate string elongation and probably have a standard which they use
for the amount of unwrapped string from the end of the wrap to the
termination.  If you want a specific amount of bare wire left over after
elongation (I always order strings with a request for 13 mm) then you just
tell them.   You don't need to calculate that yourself though you can.
However, if you don't calculate it correctly then it's on your ticket, not
theirs.  Some string makers prefer to work from a pattern.  Call John at JD
Grandt and talk to him.  I've been working with John for awhile and he does
excellent work but there are others if you prefer.  The best way to have a
relationship with a string maker is to talk to them and ask the questions
you are posting to the list.  It's not that complicated and each string
maker may have their own requirements.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com