[pianotech] Bluthner 4th string

Joe DeFazio defaziomusic at verizon.net
Tue Jan 19 23:29:15 MST 2010

> From: "David Love" <davidlovepianos at comcast.net>
> Date: January 20, 2010 12:44:24 AM EST
>
> Thanks. This is a rebuilt one with a section of the 4th strings missing (lower treble) and I’m wondering what gauge wire is typically there as compared with the supporting trichord strings.  I don’t happen to recall and I don’t run into them that often.  In fact, I can’t even recall now to what pitch they are tuned.  My recollection is that in the lower treble section they are tuned an octave higher than the supporting trichord and in the higher treble section they are tuned in unison to the supporting trichord.  That would suggest that the lower capo 4th string is lighter wire which would make sense otherwise it would be singing rather obnoxiously.

Hi David,

In the few I've seen and/or serviced, the aliquot strings in the lower treble section are terminated with thin agraffes emanating from a mini-bridge which is attached to the soundboard and bisects the space between the "real" agraffes and the "real" bridge.  This means, of course, that they are tuned an octave higher.  The aliquot strings in the high treble section are terminated with agraffes on the bridge (á la Sohmer), and are tuned at the same pitch with their respective unisons.  As for the wire gauges used in the aliquot strings, they seem to be very fine wire in the lower section, though I never measured them.  So, I can't answer your wire gauge question by direct experience; however, here is a post from the archives that does:

---

Bluthner Wires

Clark Sprague CSPRAGUE4 at woh.rr.com
Sat May 5 16:00:08 MDT 2007

Sorry, Jurgen.  Here is the info.  Clark