[pianotech] Reversing Crown

Noah Frere noahfrere at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 11:32:11 MST 2010

Thank you Dale. I have to admit there was a moment of temptation when I
considered not mentioning the soundboard situation to the client, since they
are not really pianists and I assumed the piano would sound the same when
put back together anyway. Rather, it would have sounded better with new
strings and bass bridge cap. In other words, they would have no reason to
suspect anything wrong, since the sound was acceptable to them in the first
place. The biggest danger, as far as that goes, I felt was that if the
soundboard had indeed gotten worse after the strings were removed, then the
piano may have sounded worse than before, despite the rebuilder's assertion
that it would sound the same.

Besides the technical issues, I also thought of that little statement on the
back of the PTG card in my wallet: "I will uphold the principles of honesty
and integrity for which the PTG stands."