[pianotech] Renotching-Repinning-Reusing Bridges in rebuild

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Fri Jan 22 08:15:47 MST 2010

David
  All though this approach is conservative I didn't say it was the onlyest or right way.... just the way we do it.
   The piano is strung with each wire up to pitch from the git go and no higher. All the strings go on and pitch drops off along ways by the time all the strings are on for obvious reasons. After that there is coil straihtening and gernal tidying up. The first couple chippings Trix applys are 15 minute events using a pitch generating device. It generally sits for a week while we do action work or whatever. Then I go back and pitch it up 15 cents And then go over it again. The I remove wire bends at all the usually spots. ie. agraffes,duplexs,aliquots,bridge pins. This is a huge stabilizing factor. Another close pitch raise and closer tuning and it is beginning to get stable enough to hear it and do some preliminary voicing. Hey Whatever works.
 No Argument that a tight bridge pin hole is  critical to false beat elimination and even as careful as we are, we still get some in the top ocatve.
 Used to have a stringer who strung with initial pitch starting at a half step & I didn't catch it for a while. And even with tight bridge pins we had Lots of false beats.
  Dale