[pianotech] Incremental Upright Regulation

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Fri Jan 22 16:18:47 MST 2010

I don’t charge much extra for the work, but a small amount. (Oh no! But you gotta charge! You are going to mess up everything for us all if you don’t charge $100.00 to pull out the pencil!)

Why, you say? When I leave that first visit I want the piano to be good so that I KNOW I won’t have to do remedial work the next time, or the next time… I want the customer to be ecstatic that their piano is SO good. I want them to know (I tell them!) that they would normally be charged out the wazoo for this, but that I do this as a service, knowing that they are committing to at least one tuning per year from then on. It’s partly for me, partly for them, and I only spend about 1-2 hours more than I would have anyway! Overall effect, priceless. I think this has been part of the key to my success. I turn down clients all the time now, selecting only the ones I think might be the best clients and passing others on to someone else.

Jim

Have you ever considered that the reason you have to turn down clients is not because you do all that great work, but it's because you're willing to do all that great work for half price. In other words, would you have the same back log of customers if you charged full boat for the service you're providing?

Wim