[pianotech] Incremental Upright Regulation

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Sat Jan 23 11:14:41 MST 2010

Wim,

Yeah, I’ve thought about it. But when I hear comments like “Get Jim, he’s more expensive, but he’s the best…” it makes me feel like I’m not too abused. Note: I don’t claim to be the best. Another note: other than on the first visit I rarely spend more than the “normal” service time. IOW, I DON’T work for ½ price. That was said in jest. I still probably do the same 90 minute call as anyone, but I always try to give them something “extra”. It might be a quick vacuuming, or a tightening of bench screws, etc. OH NO! So I spent 10 minutes extra and didn’t charge!! <G> But I point it out to them gently (“I’m not going to charge you for this, it’s on me”…)

Keith Kopp here at BYU does the same thing, and when they offer to pay extra he says with a smile “All I ask for is your undying loyalty.” Works for us. People do tend to tip or give referrals more readily.  I’ve even got a few hugs before I left. No Wim, I don’t feel abused. These folks become my friends, and I live by the adage “treat your friends like family, and your family like friends”. (Too many clichés for one post? Like Jimmy Durante “I got a million of ‘em”)

Since I’m now fulltime at BYU I have less private clients. Only about 200. But before BYU my schedule was always full. I kind of miss it, but for now, I got my foot caught in the door here…

Best,
Jim