[pianotech] The pitch of the pianoforte

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 25 10:41:21 MST 2010

Joe,
It has more to do with the "period" instruments that the forte piano
is likely to be used with. Some, especially resuscitated old ones,
simply can't withstand the modern pitch. There is this whole
"culture" around lower pitches >too< that one has to contend with.

Andrew,
That is precisely the "nonsense" I am referring to. If the pianoforte is only used with a true Ancient Instrument, then I can, somewhat, understand the need to tune at another pitch. However, if some of these, supposed academia/brilliant types would actually do their homework, they would find that the pitches used during those periods, were often HIGHER than 440!! So,....back to my original question: WHY???!! (There is, IMO, no valid reason for this kind of nonesense[I have avoided using another word]!! The Ancient Instruments that are "requiring" these non-standard tuning/pitches, were meant to be tuned to higher pitches!!! IF said instruments cannot be tuned up to their "designed" pitch, then someone needs to fix them IMNSHO!!! All this goes along with the utterly stupid idea of tuning to 442cps!!! All, IMO, is educated idiot B.S. Flack suit and Flame Long Johns firmly fixed!<G>
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police