[pianotech] Conover 77

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Mon Jan 25 18:45:14 MST 2010

 Dear Jack
  AS always we appreciate your knowledge and willingness to share. Your significant contribution to the history of pianos long gone
 is valuable and facsinating to all of us. I think most piano techs are history, music and art lovers.
  Kindest regards
  Dale Erwin

Hello to All.

    I have written many times of he Conover Pianos.
Frank and George Conover were in the retail business
before they started  building pianos in 1882.

  Their pianos were of the finest built and were quickly
recognized as such.  Technicians in those days did not
pay much  attention to advertising by factories.

  The Cable Co. was a large Company  that wanted a
premium  quality piano that would compliment the Cable
brand. So in 1890 they bought the Conover Co.

    This was much the same as when Wurlitzer bought
"The Apollo"  from Melville Clark so they  could  offer
their dealer network a premium quality piano.

    In my opinion The Conover 77 is one of the five best
5' 7'' /  5' 8'' pianos ever. This is along with the  M/H- A-2,
M/H- A-3,  the M/H- A-6  and the Chickering -145.

  A strange thing about the Conover is that they used
many different brands of actions. In the early 80's,   I
bought five 77,s  and two 88,s ( 6'2') in Cleveland Ohio.
  Of the seven pianos only two had the same brand of
action ie. W.N.G.

  Regards to All,

 Jack Wyatt
 Dallas,