[pianotech] parts replacement due to vertigris

David Nereson da88ve at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 18:58:20 MST 2010

    In a case of vertigris, can just the flanges (and of course,
center pins) be replaced?  It seems the parts most affected by
vertigris are the center pins and the bushings in the flanges or
shanks.  There might be a little vertigris in the birdseye of a
butt or wippen, but will that spread to the bushings of new
flanges?  I could see replacing an entire set of wippens if the
jack and balancier pinning was also corroded in addition to the
wippen flanges, but if not, do ya really have to replace all the
wippens?  (I'm trying to save the customer money by just
replacing flanges and not having to replace wippens, or in the
case of a vertical, the hammer butts.)
    --David Nereson, RPT