[pianotech] Turnaround Times

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Wed Jan 27 11:21:16 MST 2010

Having promised a lot of work to customers, I’m now falling a little behind in delivery.  While I maintain good communication with my customers, I’m feeling stressed lately and wondering if I’m attempting to turn around or complete things like action work in too short a time frame.  Just wondering what kinds of expectations others set up with their customers, especially for action reconditioning/rebuilding.  Do you try to do this as “extra” work in addition to a full or almost full regular tuning and repair load, or do you block out large blocks of time in which to complete the action job so that it is turned around in a shorter time frame?  Do you promise return of the action in one week, two weeks, six weeks?

Paul Milesi, RPT

Paul

When I had a full rebuilding shop in St. Louis, I scheduled two days one week and three days the next week as shop days. That allowed me time to get all the work done. Try to be realistic with the amount of time it will take to get the work done. It's better to promise an action back in three weeks, and calling the customer in two, than to promise the work in two weeks, and not bringing in back in 4 weeks.  If you're backed up for more than a month, you might want to consider hiring some one to help you, or subcontracting it out to some one who needs the work.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
94-505 Kealakaa Str.
Mililani, Oahu, HI  96789
808-349-2943
www.Bleespiano.com
Author of:
The Business of Piano Tuning
available from Potter Press
www.pianotuning.com

Having promised a lot of work to customers, I’m now falling a little behind in delivery.  While I maintain good communication with my customers, I’m feeling stressed lately and wondering if I’m attempting to turn around or complete things like action work in too short a time frame.  Just wondering what kinds of expectations others set up with their customers, especially for action reconditioning/rebuilding.  Do you try to do this as “extra” work in addition to a full or almost full regular tuning and repair load, or do you block out large blocks of time in which to complete the action job so that it is turned around in a shorter time frame?  Do you promise return of the action in one week, two weeks, six weeks?

Paul Milesi, RPT
Washington, DC
(202) 667-3136
E-mail:  paul at pmpiano.com