[pianotech] Turnaround Times

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 27 11:23:51 MST 2010

I figure out how much time I need per job and schedule these things
accordingly like this for example.  Let's just say, we gave an estimate on a
grand for carding, regulation, leveling keys, mating strings, voicing,
tuning.  I go home, write it all down, check my schedule and then call them
that same night while it is still fresh in both of our minds.  I set a time
with the client to begin the work, most often at 2 PM allowing for morning
tunings.  At the same time I have them on the phone, I also schedule a time
to return the action usually on a Thursday or Friday at around the same time
2 PM again, allowing for morning tunings.  Then, I set aside one full day
mid week or so, to work on the action and schedule that time slot into my
planner or whatever you use so nothing else gets scheduled over top of it.

While I'm there for the first appointment, I seat the strings if necessary,
tune it, take all necessary measurements for bench regulation, etc., remove
the action and take it to the shop.  That's how I schedule all of my work.
The time is then already set up to begin, work on and return the action.
You cannot over book yourself if the jobs are scheduled to be returned and
proper time is set aside to work on the piano.

I set aside time during my normal business day for the work.  This is my
full time job.  I don't care to tune during the day and do action work at
night.  I schedule everything ahead of time regardless of what it is.  This
is necessary in my opinion in order to keep yourself and your jobs on track.

Jer