[pianotech] Bridle-less Old Upright action

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 27 14:09:35 MST 2010

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 12:45 PM, paul bruesch <paul at bruesch.net> wrote:

> I tuned an old upright by Conover this morning, serial number 9880, which
> places manufacture date in late 1880's.
>
> One thing I found rather remarkable about it (besides the remarkably loose
> pins!) was the action. I noticed there were NO bridle tapes at all. Further
> inspection revealed 1877 and 1878 patents by Wessell, Nickel, & Gross, and a
> rather "catchy" (if you will) hook on top of the jack which projects into a
> hold in the rear of the hammer butt.
>
> Of course I pulled out my camera to take a photo. Of course, the battery
> was dead.
>
> I will probably be re-visiting the piano in May or June so I'll get photos
> then... but meantime, how widely was this action used? Any issues? I didn't
> have to pull the action, so I can't honestly speak to its efficacy. Anyone?
>
> Paul Bruesch
> Stillwater, MN

I recall tuning a piano with an action similar to what you are describing
years ago, if I recall correctly it was a Cable.

 I currently have an action in my shop from an 1875 straight strung bass
upright that I restrung for a customer. I'm "rebuilding" the birdseyes in
the double sided flanges.
The action  from that one also has no bridle tapes but instead a small L
shaped hook on the bottom of the hammer butt that protrudes through a window
in the jack. When the note is played the hook catches on the felt lined top
of the window to assist the hammer in returning to rest as the whippen drops
back into place.
 Mike
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404