[pianotech] wippen trouble

Joe Goss imatunr at srvinet.com
Thu Jan 28 11:28:56 MST 2010

Hi Marshall,
You need to lift the hammer forward so that the jack can be tripped under the butt. The jack is most likely below the square felt below the hammer assembly.
Lift hammer forward Trip jack back and lift catcher so that you can hook up the bridal tape.
Tape may need to be off to get the jack in its proper place.
A quick setting of the bridal wires that works for me is to lift the catcher with my left thumb until I feel the jack touch the hammer butt and with the left index holding the hammer in contact pull the bridal wire back from the top with my right thumb until the slack has been MOSTLY removed. Do not try to take all the slack out, like lost motion there must be some. About 1/8".
With drop actions I check this on the bench before returning the action to the piano.
Saves standing on my head. <G>
Joe Goss BSMusEd MMusEd RPT
imatunr at srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com