[pianotech] Earl Wild

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Fri Jan 29 11:47:54 MST 2010

I just heard today that Earl Wild died last Saturday.  He was 94 and
kept working up until a week before his death.  Wild was of course one
of the great pianists, a Romantic master.  After an unfortunate snub by
a Steinway representative early in his career, he eschewed Steinway
pianos. His recordings on his beautiful plummy Baldwin was a good advert
for Baldwin pianos. I see that his last recording session was on a Kawai
though.

I hope list members don't mind me going a bit off-topic with this
non-technical post. But its nice to remember the foremost exponents
among those who keep us in business, and whose mastery of the instrument
that we love (and sometimes loathe!) is complete.

Best regards,

David Boyce