[pianotech] Weighing Off A Schafer Grand

Patrick C. Poulson pcpoulson at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 29 17:31:19 MST 2010

 Hello all: I have a client who recently bought a 4 year old Schafer STG-157 grand. It has a reasonably good tone with hardly anytime playing time on it, but the action is heavy. Downweight is over 60 grams everywhere except in the top octave. I checked for excess friction and regulation problems, but found nothing unusual. I can reduce the hammer moldings some, but I don't think that there's enough excess material to bring the touchweight down to an acceptable range. My conclusion is that the keys need to be weighed often. There are 3 - 4 leads in the keys already, but it seems that more are needed to balance the action. Is there anything I'm missing here? I will, of course, check the friction in the wippens and look for any other cause of the heaviness, but the symptoms seem to be point to weighing off.
Thanks,
Patrick C. Poulson
Registered Piano Technician
530-265-1983