[pianotech] Weighing Off A Schafer Grand

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Jan 30 10:34:48 MST 2010

The evidence points to it and yes it happens all the time.  You have a piano
that's heavy, no friction problems (that you report) maxed out key leads (it
appears).  If it walks like a truck.

There have been several suggestions.  If the problem exists I'm more
inclined to consider moving the capstan first but it requires some
calculations and testing.  One thing I wanted to mention about Jon's
solution, which is also a worthwhile consideration, is that when you move
the knuckle out to 18.5 mm with strike weights that are on the medium to
lighter side, then you better be prepared to repin the balancier otherwise
you won't be able to put enough tension on the rep spring to keep it from
throwing the hammers into the strings and still get good return on the jack.
Even at 18 mm it's a problem as I've found when using some Abel shanks
designed at 18 mm for some pianos (MH for example).

The problem in these situations is teaching the customer about the problem,
why it exists on a new piano, and why they should have to spend what's
necessary to fix it.  A new definition of aftertouch.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com