[pianotech] Transporting a grand action

John Ross jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca
Sat Jan 30 12:44:14 MST 2010

I am always afraid of breaking off a hammer, or something dropping on an action.
I was thinking on making a base with a handle, sides, and a back. The back portion would have a top to protect the hammers. It would have clamps to hold the action secure. Made from 1/2" plywood.
Something like 54"X23" X8".
A person, could then transport the action like a suitcase. It could be laid across folded seats. It could be used for upright actions as well, with them lying on the back.
I just have the idea now, but haven't started figuring out sizes to accomaodate most.
Has anyone made something like this?
I know about the one made with a folding golf cart, which is a good idea.
John Ross,
Windsor, Nova Scotia