[pianotech] Transporting a grand action

James Johnson jhjpiano at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 30 22:15:12 MST 2010

I used to drive station wagons or a pickup with a camper shell, but I decided that with all the time I spend behind the wheel, I wanted to drive something more fun.  That presented the problem of how to transport actions in a sports sedan.  I made a pallet covered with industrial carpet that I can use to slide a grand action into my trunk.  It folds in the middle so that it fits in the trunk with the rear seat folded up and then unfolds to slightly more than the length of the action and allows me to slide the action up over the hump into the rear seat area with the rear seats down.  I then cover the action with a doubled over moving pad to protect it while traveling.  I have used this system in two cars ( an Acura Integra and my present car, a Nissan Maxima.) and over a period of over 22 years. ( I keep my cars for a long time.  My Maxima just went over 260,000 miles today on a trip to the Bay Area.)  In all those years and hundreds of grand action transports I have never broken a hammer shank or damaged an action.  Anything approaching an "action suitcase" made of plywood would probably double the weight of an action and would become very difficult to carry.  Also, it would have to be unnecessarily large to accommodate 7' and 9' and reproducer actions with their longer keys.  You would probably want to line it with carpet to protect the action inside the case, which would add still more weight.  Some grand actions are so heavy that they are almost too much to carry all alone, let alone with any added weight.