[pianotech] Knuckle Direction

Paul Milesi, RPT paul at pmpiano.com
Tue Jun 1 14:34:45 MDT 2010

I respectfully disagree.  During the downstroke of the key, a lot of the
weight of the hammer is on the knuckle/jack, and there is a need to minimize
friction.  Trust me, a player can feel this friction, especially if
regulation isn¹t perfect, e.g., if the jack is a little too far back.  When
the jack is returning to rest position, the weight of the hammer is on the
repetition lever, and any friction during return has no impact on touch.

As for the line on the Abel-type replacement knuckles, I can¹t remember
which direction it indicates, so I can¹t be of any help regarding that.

I seem to remember that this was discussed on the list sometime in the past
couple years and subsequently published in the Journal.  It¹ll be
interesting to see who weighs in this time around.  I, for one, wasn¹t on
the list at that time.

Paul Milesi, RPT
Washington, DC
(202) 667-3136