[pianotech] Player system on Steinway B

Andrew Anderson anrebe at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 19:23:20 MDT 2010

Marty,
Player systems make pianos easier to sell at the store.

The player systems I have worked with do not impinge on key travel and
work best when the piano is at its best regulation.  The option to
silence the piano, QuietTime by PianoDisc is one brand, does affect
the regulation.  Drop has to be set at the thickness of the felt that
is inserted between the hammers and the keys.  All other regulation
parameters do not have to be impinged upon.

Room usually has to be made for solenoid covers in the legs and a slot
is cut into the back of the keybed.  Sometimes the shift pedal lever
has to be moved forward to clear the slot.  A well built piano does
not suffer sonically from those modifications.  Most of the high-end
piano makers either have their own player system or offer the option
of having the piano readied for a system from the factory.  I order my
pianos ready.  It helps to sell pianos and overcomes
objections from parents who aren't sure if their children will stick
to lessons.  (Off-course they won't with a cheap electronic keyboard
either.)

Bosendorfer has its own system.  Yamaha its own system.  A variety of
options are available for aftermarket players.  Most of my high-end
pianos are sold with players on them.

If your customer is some sort or piano religious mystic, maybe it
would be a turn-off.  For the average American customer it is a huge
turn-On!

Andrew Anderson, Artisan Piano