[pianotech] Weaver spinet

Andrew Remillard anrpiano at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 14:38:32 MDT 2010

Jack,

Just a quick follow up on your suggestion for fixing this Weaver spinet.

Your idea worked wonderfully. I moved the support brackets forward about
3/4", this took the lifter rods contact back 3/4" thereby increasing the
leverage present in this part of the system. The touch weights now come in
around 60 DW and 20 UW. Not perfect but worlds better and 140 DW. It is a
piano again, er...  for the first time.

The fix only took about 30 min to do, the regulating will take considerably
longer, but this will be one less piano going into the local land fill,
which is worth far more than our little effort.

Thanks again.

Andrew

> Andrew
>
> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 9:31 PM, <JWyatt1492 at aol.com> wrote:
>

>>    Hello Andrew,
>>
>>    If the action is mounted  on medal studs about one to two inches
>> high then changes to the down weight is easy.  You can bend the studs
>> backward   ( toward the soundboard ) about 1/16th  of an inch. This
>> can make an enormous  difference.  This  changes the leverage of the
>> whip.
>>
>>   Another thing you can do is polish ( buff ) the back of the "  bi-level
>> "
>>  arm and lubricate the  whippen heel felt.
>>
>>    The piano action is simply a connected assembly of levers. There is
>> no magic or mystery to it.  I have worked on these pianos many times
>> over the years, they are a  little different  but that's about all.
>>
>>    Never adjust the actions studs in this manner on imported  pianos.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jack Wyatt
>> Dallas Chapter
>>

>> --