[pianotech] Tuning lever --Shameless self promotion

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Mon Jun 21 18:09:28 MDT 2010

  Sent: Monday, June 21, 2010 6:53 PM
  Subject: Re: [pianotech] Tuning lever --Shameless self promotion

  That is one thing I expect to try (and maybe buy) in Las Vegas; a new lever.

  11 1/2 inch long at the most will fit in my bag, but I usually extend it to 13 inch on uprights.

  Tom, is your 12 " including the ball and the base of the tip ?

  I imagine a 2 piece lever that is assembled rapidly like a high tech gun in the movies. [?] Shlack-click

  I love a very long tip (4 3/8 ") for upmost register on grands. How much flex would be left from the tips (long and short) ? How much reduction would I gain with a carbon handle but the same tips ? Sorry everyone if this has already been addressed.

  See you all...

  Allan Sutton, m.mus. RPT

   Allan

  The overall length without the head , that is from ball end to the end of the threads on this lever is 11 3/4.
   With the 15 degree head and tip the length is 12 1/4".
   Years ago in class with Jim Coleman and George Defebaugh they suggested that the closer you are to the pin the more control . Since then I've used the short 15 degree heads and with few exceptions have no problems with clearance around the plate. As a matter of fact I recently saw on Jim Colemans site a 20 degree short head that is Schaff -Watanabe compatable  and I'll be ordering soon.
   As to your question about flex I'm not sure how to quantify ,but on the rare occasions when I need to use a longer head-tip I break out a 5 degree schaff head with a #2 tip (3" overall length) and I feel less connected  from what's happening in the block. Different strokes I guess.
       As to my levers, I'm waiting on more CF tubing , and  I can make one up to any length.
   Have fun at the convention , but watch out for that Phil Bondi guy <G>

  Tom D.