[pianotech] WNG Parts Question

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue Jun 22 10:58:25 MDT 2010

At 08:30 -0700 22/6/10, Nicholas Gravagne wrote:

>For those of you familiar with the new Wessell, Nickel and Gross
>(WNG) composite action parts:
>
>Having recently installed WNG whippens along with shanks and flanges
>(w/ the new hard bushings) I have a couple of questions...

Thank you for the information, Nick.  I am/was seriously thinking of
fitting a set of the shanks only and would be interested also in
others' comments.

I met Bruce Clark in England a few weeks ago and had a long chat with
him.  I have since spoken to him on the phone concerning the problem
reported in a file on the WNG site concerning the problems with the
white glue, and he is going to send some CA gel with the shanks.  I
asked whether a thickned epoxy might be as good and he convinced me
that the gel is more suitable;  first it will set more quickly and
second it would make removal simpler.  If you used the now deprecated
white glue, that might be the source of the clicking.  I hope is is
not in the centres, as this might make me rethink the whole matter
until they get things right.

Good to know the shanks 'burn' well.

I know they supply centre pins increasing in size in exceptionally
small gradations, and if your clicking comes from the centres, I
guess this is the solution, but if they click from new it does not
bode well.

The springs are stainless steel, as you know.  I questioned Bruce
about this, because I saw no point in using SS when phosphor-bronze
and even brass have proved themselves without problem for 150 years.
I was also critical of his decision to stick with the most primitive
and PITA type of repetition spring, and the reason he gave me was
that an adjusting screw would add weight.  Yeah, and a fat lot of
weight it would add compared with the added convenience of an
adjustment such as used by Ibach, Grotrian, Schimmel etc. for
donkeys' years.

I was generally very impressed with the quality of all the products I
saw and with the thought that had gone into their design.  Sometimes,
in my opinion, the thought was misconceived, but at least it existed!
Bruce is a nice guy and knows his stuff.  I rarely meet anybody more
obstinate than myself, so it was a pleasant experience to meet him!

JD