[pianotech] WNG Parts Question

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Jun 22 12:16:17 MDT 2010

John Delacour wrote:

> I met Bruce Clark in England a few weeks ago and had a long chat with
> him.  I have since spoken to him on the phone concerning the problem
> reported in a file on the WNG site concerning the problems with the
> white glue, and he is going to send some CA gel with the shanks.  I
> asked whether a thickned epoxy might be as good and he convinced me that
> the gel is more suitable;  first it will set more quickly and second it
> would make removal simpler.  If you used the now deprecated white glue,
> that might be the source of the clicking.

I most certainly don't like the idea of gluing a humidity
reactive molding to a humidity proof shank with a hard white
glue, however much the shank is roughed. I don't see how it
could possibly stay firm for long.

>I hope is is not in the
> centres, as this might make me rethink the whole matter until they get
> things right.

I haven't used anything with the hard centers yet, so I have
no information there.

> Good to know the shanks 'burn' well.

Very well. They almost liquefy under heat. Instead of
stressing them under heat past where you want them, and
getting some spring back, you put them where you want them and
hold for a second until the shank solidifies again. One
caveat; don't put torque on them cold. They split easily under
torsional stress.

> I was generally very impressed with the quality of all the products I
> saw and with the thought that had gone into their design.

Indeed. I'm looking forward to a chance to try the back action.

>Sometimes, in
> my opinion, the thought was misconceived, but at least it existed! Bruce
> is a nice guy and knows his stuff.  I rarely meet anybody more obstinate
> than myself, so it was a pleasant experience to meet him!

Bruce is fun. Knowledgeable and exploratory hard-heads are scarce.
Ron N