[pianotech] "premium" vs. price

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Mar 10 16:08:37 MST 2010

Hi Wim,

Gosh, are some RPTs on the Islands only charging $75 for a tuning? I
thought the cost of living in Hawaii was quite high. I'm in Tampa,
Florida where prices are typical mid-west USA prices - I'm charging
$95 for a tuning and I'm thinking that I might be at the cusp of the
lower 50% percentile. Because of the economy I have been reluctant to
make the big step to over $100. However, I do charge separately for
pitch raises. Do you? I charge $45 for a pitch raise and I do a lot of
them. I think my average service call to tune a piano last years was
about $125.

Shouldn't you be using something closer to southern California or
Manhattan fees? What are the techs there charging - $150 for a basic
tuning?

Terry Farrell