[pianotech] Premium service

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Mar 10 17:12:27 MST 2010

That's basically my approach.  A flat fee for whatever can be accomplished
in the designated amount of time.   I often vacuum out the top of a grand if
it needs it: tuning pin area and a quick sweep of the soundboard.  Honestly,
I'm shocked that people are talking about spending 30 - 40 minutes or more
cleaning.  It takes about 5.  My basic appointment is 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Forty-five minutes typically to tune a regularly serviced piano.  One hour
total with a pitch raise.  That leaves 15 - 30 minutes (sometimes more if
it's a stable piano with a DC) to do whatever.  I decide based on need and
what the customer wants (asking is ok).  If they want it cleaned out that's
fine.  Pulling the action and blowing the dust out of it and cleaning out
the action cavity is often a functional necessity for smooth una corda use,
items jamming between the keys (preventative sometimes) or just keeping the
dust from migrating to my lungs while I'm working.  For some people cleaning
is the difference for them.  That's fine with me.  Whatever they want.  As
Norman mentioned, some people are uncomfortable with the idea that they
might damage something.

Today I tuned two pianos for someone.  Both pianos are tuned regularly and
are quite stable.  The tunings took about 25 minutes each.  On their
Steinway O I spent probably another 1 hours plus on the regulation and
lubricating the action, on the upright Schimmel I spent the time voicing
because they thought it was too bright.  I was there for 2.5 hours and
charged them accordingly for my time, not a menu of items.  The pianos
didn't need cleaning, btw, but I have vacuumed out the grand in the past
when I deemed it necessary.

My approach is to have two different types of service calls.  Basic service
as described above and premium service which is a two hour appointment.  If
the pianos are tuned regularly and/or have DC's installed then they get a
lot of "other" stuff done and the pianos are kept functioning at a
relatively high level over time.  If they only tune the piano once every 5
years then I can still probably tune it in the time frame of a basic service
appointment but that's probably all that I will have time to do.  Like
others have mentioned I prefer to charge a bit more and have time to do a
bit more.  I don't like taking 15 minutes to explain why I have to do
something that takes 15 minutes so that I can charge them for an extra 15
minutes.  If I see that the piano may need work that involves a longer
appointment than I will let them know and schedule something accordingly.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com

I price my work by $100 per hour, and a tuning is expected to be no more
than 90 minutes. When things come up that require me to spend more time, the
hourly rate is in effect.  Practically, this means that if I arrive at a
house and spend two hours in there, the bill is $200. that might mean a
complete pitchraise/bolt tightening/tuning, or it might mean 1 hour and 12
minutes tuning, and 48 minutes disassembling the pedals and trapwork to find
the squeak, or it might mean the extra 20 minutes it takes to vacuum the
piano out.  Whatever it takes.
  Our time is all we have to sell. I don't get in the habit of giving it
away.  Most of my customers have been with me more than 20 years, and many
of them 30.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT