[pianotech] Tool for plate removal

Brian Trout brian_trout at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 30 10:47:03 MDT 2010

Something like this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=996

was always my tool of choice for lifting plates in and out.  I hung it on what looked like a glorified swing set with castors on the legs.  I hung a box under the chain so that raising and lowering put the excess chain in the box, not hanging and banging against the plate / soundboard.

If you have a beam of some kind to hang it on in the shop, you can make it stationary.  Lots of shops have shop piano legs with castors and work tables on wheels.

Chain hoists move slowly, which I like.  When we started out, it was something like 4 or 5 guys doing it by hand.  Yikes!!  And it's awfully easy to damage the inside of the case when there are sudden movements of a very heavy object...

I always thought the ultimate would be an electric hoist hanging from a track above that would allow it to be in any position and easily movable.  But I never got there.  Mine hung on what was more like a glorified swing set on castors.

Brian