[pianotech] Plate finishing

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Wed Mar 31 21:39:59 MDT 2010

Marcel, I'm not using water based, but I've used gold lacquer in spray cans
from the start.  Walter Wurdack is the supplier I use (they mix lacquer for
S&S NY) and I like the color gold I get (I get clear from them as well).
This way, the gold is lacquer, the topcoat is lacquer, no floating paint,
just nice even coverage.  Works darn well for a rattle can, and since I only
do a few plates a year at most, it's a good compromise for me.  I know
others do similar things with other suppliers, like Mohawk.

William R. Monroe